Sunday, July 21, 2013

One village completed!!


Hi Everyone,


   The last week and a half has been a lot of fun. We have completed our survey work in Maya Centre! We only have Golden Stream and Maya Mopan to complete now. The people of Maya Centre were really nice and seemed to enjoy our company.  Maya Centre is located right by the Belize Jaguar Preserve and many of the women in the village make jewelry, bracelets and cravings to sell to tourist.  While working in Maya Centre, Eva and I met missionaries from North Carolina. They were visiting the village to offer free medical exams and treatment to the local villagers. The majority of Maya villages do not have access to medical care or treatment; so many rely on missionaries and government to come to them.

                We started our surveying in Maya Mopan and was served lunch by a local family that Dr. Key has known for a while. The lunch was amazing with handmade tortillas and eggs with calla Lou. We also got to see a mobile clothing store. A man was driving a bus through the village filled with clothing and goods. This is how many of the Maya are getting the clothing that they wear, aside from making their own. Eva and I also got to drink Coconut water from a coconut that a Maya man cut of the tree for us. He cut it down then chopped one side off and we have a refreshing drink. Coconut water is very popular here because it is good for hydration and the stomach. It doesn’t cost anything if you cut it from the tree so it is the cheapest choice.

                I had the great opportunity to sing and play guitar at 3 different events this week. I met a lot of great musicians and had a great time!

                Last night I got to try out Belize’s socialized healthcare. I had an allergic reaction to something I ate and my throat closed up. Dr. Key and Eva took me the clinic in Placencia at 2am to get a shot. I was not charged anything for the visit and the shot had me breathing easy in 15 minutes. I am doing fine now, just a little groggy from the medicine.

Thank you for following me and I am sorry it has taken so long to write again!

Here are a few pics from my travels.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment